On January 13, 1980, Paul Fugate, a 41-year-old park ranger at Chiricahua National Monument in Arizona, walked out of the visitor center for an afternoon hike and was never seen or heard from again. Fugate, a bearded and bespectacled man wearing his ranger uniform and badge, headed on a nature trail toward Faraway Ranch, a chunk of land new to the NPS that preserved a bit of Apache history on the frontier. When Fugate failed to return, a major search and rescue effort kicked into gear involving the local Cochise County Sheriff Department, members of the US Forest Service, the BLM, and the NPS. Dogs were brought in, helicopters searched from the air, Fugate’s friends and family helped the rescuers search on foot. Several SAR efforts were made, despite Chiricahua being a nightmare location for searching, being a dry, vast, and rugged land, riven everywhere with canyons and river washes.

Nothing of Fugate was ever found. Not a trace.

There are rumors a driver—a friend of Fugate—saw him seated in a truck between two men speeding on a country road heading away from Chiricahua, but nothing concrete emerged. Investigators almost immediately declared they suspected foul play and the NPS began paying a portion of Fugate’s salary to his widow. They also announced a $5,000 reward for solid leads about what may have happened to Fugate. Eventually, the family matched that sum, and it grew to $20,000. But still, no answers ever surfaced to bring closure to the strange case. The FBI, when contacted, declined to intervene in the investigation.


Some acquaintances of Fugate believe he’d accidentally walked into a drug deal, and spooked the participants with his government uniform, he was killed or kidnapped. According to a 1981 New York Times article about Fugate’s disappearance, law enforcement groups were aware of drug dealing and trafficking in the area around Chiricahua. Rumors too of a difficult marriage surrounded Fugate’s disappearance, with some wondering if he’d simply walked away from his life.

In an unfortunate twist, in 1981, Howard Chapman, then the director of the NPS’ Western Region, looked back over the case and decided Fugate had abandoned his post. Fugate was formally “dismissed” and the NPS asked his wife to repay the portion of his salary they’d awarded her. Eventually, the NPS listed Fugate as deceased, resuming payments to his widow.

But late last month, the NPS announced it had discovered new information about Fugate’s case, and, together with the Cochise County Sheriff Department, is again soliciting help from the public in solving the mystery. The NPS also announced it was tripling the financial award offered for concrete leads to $60,000. It provided no other information, however, about what’s prompted it to reopen the case.

Investigators are collecting tips and information and can be reached by:

• Phone—NPS Investigative Services Branch: (888) 653-0009
• email: [email protected]
• submit a tip online at: www.nps.gov/ISB
• Facebook: @InvestigativeServicesNPS; Twitter: @SpecialAgentNPS

You need something to read? We have something to read!

Adventure Journal’s print stories are only available in print. They are deeper, longer, and more nuanced than what you find online. Find out why 99% of subscribers renew every single year.

Order a subscription and current issue you today and most U.S. address will have their copy in three days. West Coast addresses it’s 1-2 days.

Subscribe here.

Pin It on Pinterest