• 2 cups apple cider
• 4 ounces vanilla vodka (about 2 airplane bottles)
• 1 can or bottle hard apple cider
• 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, chilled
Dirty Gourmet is three women—Aimee Trudeau, Emily Nielson, and Mai-Yan Kwan—who came together after a bike tour across Canada. They put together a big variety of camp meals, many of which can be found in their cookbook of the same name, with lots of different cultural and taste influences. This recipe, from Emily, for a hot, sweet vanilla cocktail, sounds like aprés heaven.
There are quite a few things worth being outside at night for during the fall and winter months. Halloween is a nighttime holiday. The Leonid meteor shower is in November. Festivals of lights, and full moons over snowy forests make for beautiful bundled walks. Chilly nights should always include a warm drink.
Cider is the epitome of fall, and hard cider is making a big comeback right now. We’re planning an apple picking camping trip in a few weeks, and wanted to be ready with a drink that would go well with our dutch oven pie.
While trying to decide which overwhelmingly sweet flavored alcohol I was going to buy a whole bottle of, I realized they make airplane bottles of most of the flavors! I narrowed my experimentation down to five, and landed on vanilla vodka as the best choice for this cocktail. I expected to like the honey flavored whisky or orange vodka better, but vanilla warmed the whole thing up just one more level. It also made sense when I dolloped a scoop of freshly made mason-jar whipped cream on top.
• Heat the non-alcoholic cider in a pot over medium heat. Remove just before boiling.
• Meanwhile, pour cold whipping cream into a mason jar, and screw on the lid. Shake vigorously (a great kid job) until the cream has thickened to desired consistency (we tend to like it a little softer than typical whipped cream)
• Pour about 1 ounce of vodka into each mug.
• Pour about 1/4 of the can or bottle of hard cider into the mugs.
• Pour about 1/4 of the hot apple cider into the mugs. Stir, top each with a dollop of whipped cream, and enjoy your evening.