January 19, 2021
The Mid South Gravel Race Goes Incredibly Socially Distanced
The Mid South is a big one. Since 2013 (formerly, the Land Run 100) gravel riders and long-distance dirt racers have converged on Stillwater, Oklahoma for a sufferfest on wheels, rolling over 100 miles through the rural dirt roads of Oklahoma.
But COVID-19 has spared nobody.
For 2021, there will be no big gathering in Stillwater for the Mid South. There will still be a race, however.
This year, contest organizers are teaming up with a few bike shops across the country to plan 100 mile, 50 mile, and 50K races in their own backyards, so people don’t have to pack up and head for the center of the country. Ride With GPS is helping with organizing a challenge board that will keep track of riders and distances.
If you’ve already registered, you get 50% off your fee. You still get a swag bag. There will still be a welcoming party, but it’s gonna be virtual. How will that work? Remains to be seen. If you don’t live near one of the eight regional hubs that have designed courses, you can simply design your own. These are the partnering bike shops and locations: District Bicycles | Stillwater, OK; Meteor | Bentonville, AR; Gravel City | Emporia, KS; Angry Catfish | Minneapolis, MN; Cycleast | Austin, TX; Cycleworks | Lincoln, NE; Hope Cyclery | Johnstown, PA; Yawp! | Denver, CO.
More details from race organizers are below.
WHAT’S THE SKINNY?
• First things first, if you are registered, you’re in. You’ll receive an email with information about joining the Ride With GPS challenge before event weekend.
• You will receive a 50 percent refund of your registration fee. BikeReg will begin processing these refunds Tuesday, Jan. 19, and refunds will deposit within 5-7 business days. If you purchased a transfer, you’ll be getting a check in the mail from us. BikeReg processing fees and transfer fees are non-refundable.
• We are shipping your swag bag to you. Yup. You read that right. All the cool stuff you get when you check in is going to show up at your door.
• Any time over event weekend, March 12-14, record your ride or run and upload it to the Ride With GPS challenge board. There’s no mass start or timing, so ride or run as fast or as slow as you want. We are big fans of “snack-paced” rides.
• Once you finish your ride or run, show your completed route to any of the host shops to pick out some rad swag from our awesome sponsors. Swag items are available on a first-come, first-served basis at each shop.
• Swag items will be announced soon, but we promise they’re way better than t-shirts and water bottles.
• But wait, there’s more! On Monday, March 15, we will draw names from the Ride With GPS challenge board to win a variety of awesome prizes, including several free guaranteed entries to The Mid South 2022; an Eternal Entry to all future Mid Souths; a free entry to The Mid South 2022 plus free bike shipping to and from Stillwater with BikeFlights ($300 value); a Premium lifetime account with Ride With GPS; a complete Mid South cycling kit; a Salsa Stormchaser; a pair of Zipp 303 carbon wheels; and more.