Mountain Biking Crash Creates Controversy Because: The World Today

These things happen when you’re just riding along.

A post shared by Makken 🇳🇴 (@makkedonia) on

First, holy smokes. Anders Eimhjellen Blom was ripping the snot out of this trail, but definitely on the edge of control, when he took an unplanned exit stage left in what is an absolutely gnarly crash. The incident was captured by his buddy, Mads André Haugen, who was having a fairly common stoke attack all the way up to and including the aftermath of Blom’s digger.

Second, after Haugen posted the clip to Instagram, the internet immediately attacked him for being blasé or uncomprehending of Blom’s situation. Dunno about that—we’ve heard plenty of laughter from friends at our own crashes, and usually the assumption is that you’re okay until it looks like you aren’t and then things get serious. To our eye, that seems to be what’s going on here, when Haugen starts saying, “Oh, my” over and over. What do you guys think?

Whichever, Haugen took the response seriously and responded on IG:

There has been alot of reactions and questions on the clip i posted of @blombastic falling down the cliff. Something i fully understand and thats why i decided to post this clip. Here you get to see a bit more of the situation and how it went down. The first thing we did was calling a ambulance and made sure he was breathing. We were able to keep calm and not panic. Looking back at it i realize we would not have been ready if the consequences was bigger. This aint a joke, this is a real sport with real consequences and I recommend everyone who rides to take a safety course and prepare for situations like these! Things get real serious real fast!! Allot of people ask how i am able to just laugh it. In my opinion thats my only option. If i would let these things get to me i would not be able to do the things i do and people need to understand this is just not a thing we do, this is who we are. I choose to embrace moments like these, i choose learn from them and use them as constant reminder on how lucky we are to be healthy and living the happy lifes we do.

• Buddy

I guess the first thing I would ask is was his friend ok. If he was then post away and laugh and have a good time. If he wasn’t ok then I might hold off posting the video. But he wasn’t definitely on the edge. But that’s what guys do, sometimes not real smart of us but it’s the adrinalin Rush.

• Buddy

Correction, Was on the edge..

• Lee Jennings

I’d sue the rock that jumped in his way.

• Mr. STAGGER LEE

Thing is that YOU HAVE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY. As said he was riding on that knife edge but that’s where the buzz is.
    People react to it full of the high of the ride and accident at first. It takes a few minutes to sink in that it’s bad. The guy behind did nothing wrong. The guy in front nearly lost it a couple of times and should have realised that it was going out of his control but the world is full of ifs n buts. Hope he’s OK.
    He’s got some crazy skills:)

• Stephen Duquette

Definitely high on adrenaline and piss and vinegar. Laughing and shouting…It’s a way of release and maximizing the thrill. The laughter was already flowing before the crash and stopped as soon as the reality kicked in. These guys are best buds having a blast….That’s all .

• Mark

I can’t believe how perfectly his bike landed! That’s the best part.

• LittleEddie

+++1

• Accidental FIRE

“Because: The World Today”

Accurate read. There’s nothing left in the world that doesn’t offend.

• robert

looks like some skiers i see on the blue runs. right on the verge of crashing over and over and then oops.

a man’s got to know his limitations.

• GOOG

The bike sat there for decades thus finally explaining the bike in the tree story.

• Steve Casimiro

• En svensk jävel

He’s actually saying “oh nej, oh nej” which is Norwegian for “oh no, oh no” after the crash. In the lead up to the crash, he yells out “oh fy fan!”. Basically “for f–k sake” or “goddamn” depending on the situation and cadence. I doubt the “fy fan” was directed at his friend; it’s more of an expletive Norwegians/Swedes/Danes use in a variety of times and places to show anger/excitement/surprise/annoyance.

• Steve Casimiro

Oh, wow, thanks so much for that.

• Den

I guess most of the critics do little outdoor adrenaline sports, immediately the guy filming seems worry about the crash anyway.The laugh is more nervous than fun.(I had a few near miss and most of the time I laughed on the spot to decompress). Posting it straightaway is more a question about contemporary attitude to social media,where people don’t think long before they post something (from very very average performance to voyeurism)

• Skip L

Adrenaline junkie’s riding way over their limits – I hope these guys were riding on private closed trails not on multi-use trails on public land…. I have been riding mountain bikes for 36 years – riders like this are not an asset to our sport…
    Please read this article for a perspective of the direction mountain biking should be going:

• JMar

Dude is totally out of control. Suggest calling an ambulance before starting the next run.

• H. Flect

I see and get passed by imbeciles like this every time I go mountain biking, which is why I would rather ride road bikes.

• Kumar

That was a gruesome crash