20 Inspiring Quotes from John Muir

Nature’s bearded philosopher was also the king of stoke. Here are few of his wise words to get you fired up.

Been outside lately? How about a few reminders from the Poet Laureate of the High Sierra? John Muir was ecstatically writing about the mountains 100 years before you had an iPhone to stare at while your eyes glazed over. He was also writing about how we lose our feeling for being alive by working too much, focusing on making money instead of the things that bring us joy. Sound familiar? Bit of a visionary, that guy. You can thank him for Yosemite National Park and Sequoia National Park, as well as these little snippets of inspiration.

1. “Most people are on the world, not in it. ”

2. “Who wouldn’t be a mountaineer! Up here all the world’s prizes seem nothing.”

3. “Few places in this world are more dangerous than home. Fear not, therefore, to try the mountain passes. They will kill care, save you from deadly apathy, set you free, and call forth every faculty into vigorous, enthusiastic action.”

4. “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.”

5. “When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe.”

7. “In every walk with Nature one receives far more than he seeks.”

8. “This grand show is eternal. It is always sunrise somewhere; the dew is never dried all at once; a shower is forever falling; vapor is ever rising. Eternal sunrise, eternal dawn and gloaming, on sea and continents and islands, each in its turn, as the round earth rolls.”

9. “One touch of nature makes the whole world kin.”

10. “There is a love of wild nature in everybody, an ancient mother-love showing itself whether recognized or no, and however covered by cares and duties”

11. “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news.”

12. “One day’s exposure to mountains is better than a cartload of books.”

13. “Most people who travel look only at what they are directed to look at. Great is the power of the guidebook maker, however ignorant.”

14. “I never saw a discontented tree.”

15. “None of Nature’s landscapes are ugly so long as they are wild.”

16. “The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.”

17. “Only by going alone in silence, without baggage, can one truly get into the heart of the wilderness. All other travel is mere dust and hotels and baggage and chatter.”

18. “Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity; and that mountain parks and reservations are useful not only as fountains of timber and irrigating rivers, but as fountains of life.”

19. “The mountains are fountains of men as well as of rivers, of glaciers, of fertile soil. The great poets, philosophers, prophets, able men whose thoughts and deeds have moved the world, have come down from the mountains – mountain dwellers who have grown strong there with the forest trees in Nature’s workshops.”

20. “Going to the mountains is going home.”

Brendan Leonard is a contributing editor to Adventure Journal. Follow him at his blog, Semi-Rad.
Recommended Posts
    Amanda Elizabeth

“Few places in this world are more dangerous than home. Fear not, therefore, to try the mountain passes. They will kill care, save you from deadly apathy, set you free, and call forth every faculty into vigorous, enthusiastic action.” AH.

Amanda Elizabeth

Consider my carcass inspired.

• Forrest McCarthy

“The Sun shines not on us but in us. The Rivers flow not past, But through us.” – John Muir

Isabel Hotellinksolutions

Over a thousand reasons, we have over a thousand reasons to be Ecuador Tourist power.
    The place where life has expressed its majesty through a variety of colors, sounds, smells and tastes, that is Ecuador. Here in the center of the world, the people who make this small country, has decided that in their hands is keeping a sustainable paradise.

• David D

awesome post.

Gareth Alunovich Griffiths

The mountains are calling and I must go

• Tony

“None of Nature’s landscapes are ugly so long as they are wild.” That quote is just so right!

• ziad k abdelnour

nice and good inspiring quotes,

“One of the hardest decisions you’ll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.”

• Tony Lee

John Muir is a boss. I love this quote: “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.”

• Jason

Great list of quotes.

I especially like 6. “I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.”

• Jess

I like the quotes, though you have one quote that isn’t Muir’s – “In William Shakespeare’s Troilus and Cressida, Act III, Scene iii – Ulysses, speaking to Achilles says that “One Touch of Nature Makes the Whole World Kin”.”

• Josh

My favorite of them all “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.”

• Bret R

Agree completely with his view on losing our feeling to overworking. Everyday i sit in my cubicle looking out the window thinking “there has to be more than this”…I need the mountains.

• Jessica Blue Sky

Beautiful quotes. My heart is afloat as I daydream of wilderness ?

• lv

I have “The Mountains are calling and I must go” tattooed on my arm.

• Ruthie

Muir actually said, “God never made an ugly landscape. All that the sun shines on is beautiful, so long as it is wild.”

Source for this version of this quote is: “The Scenery of California,” California Early History: Commercial Position: Climate: Scenery. San Francisco: California State Board of Trade, 1897, 16.

Some prefer to leave out the appellation, “God” from Muir’s statement – finding it more palatable to them, but truthfully, Muir will not fit into such a politically-correct box. He found nature “the perfect cathedral” for worship and actually read the New Testament often.

• Roman Dial

Too bad so many “conservationist” of today, the intellectual (cry) babies of Muir, fail to live by these suggestions, and instead are forcefully shoving their world view down our throats.

• Marc

From cityboy i went to countryguy: 800 km through the Norwegian mountains, every meter was bliss.

• Aaron

You forgot my favorite Muir quote:

“Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world.”

• Wade

Such a great poet who brought such an appreciation to nature by many.

• jamie

John Muir is my favorite and I believe everything he said is true. I can always find peace in nature!

• Zeljka Gmaz

I simply loved this article. John Muir was truly an extraordinary figure when it comes to preservation of America’s wildlife and he wrote with such enthusiasm about nature, mountains and woods that even today’s readers find inspiration in his quotes and words of wisdom. The one I like the most is this one below, mostly because I find it to be very true.

“Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity; and that mountain parks and reservations are useful not only as fountains of timber and irrigating rivers, but as fountains of life.” – John Muir